Fedora Core 6 Test Update: kernel-2.6.22.1-15.fc6

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 21:26:41 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2007 03:55 PM, Kevin DeKorte wrote:

> Tickless is in there and enabled, but only the i386 code is in that
> kernel. We will probably end up disabling tickless by default but
> leave it possible to enable with "nohz=on". For now if anyone has
> problems, try "nohz=off" and/or "highres=off".

My system starts and runs OK, but I notice a problem I had not seen
before.  The Dell D820 has a dual core processor and between 10 and
30% of one of them is consumed by a program  "automount", according to
top. This is happening when the system is idle--no disks going in, no
changes in  network.   Here's a snapshot where top says automount is
taking half of the cpu.

 2013 root      20   0  6140 1148  912 S   50  0.1  31:47.71 automount

On the other hand, other machines that are not running the new kernel
do show an automount process running, but it takes 0 CPU time, as in:

root      2221  0.0  0.0  93184  1228 ?        Ssl  Jul12   0:02 automount

Isn't scanning for new device insertions one of the things that is
affected by timings?

The hpet support is found and used, according to the dmesg output:

Time: hpet clocksource has been installed.
Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 0
Switched to high resolution mode on CPU 1

but later on I notice a stray

hpet_resources: 0xfed00000 is busy

--
Paul E. Johnson