Fedora Core 6 Test Update: kernel-2.6.22.1-15.fc6

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:46:32 UTC 2007

On 7/16/07, James Hubbard <jameshubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Fedora Test Update Notification
> > FEDORA-2007-634
> > 2007-07-16
> >
> > Product     : Fedora Core 6
> > Name        : kernel
> > Version     : 2.6.22.1
> > Release     : 15.fc6
>
> Parameters:
> .22: vga=791 nohz=off highres=off
> .20: vga=791
> Dell M65 laptop with no devices connected.
>
> Using  2.6.20-1.2962, my hard drive shows up as sda with buffered disk
> read of ~49MB/sec.  Under  the .22 kernel it shows up as hda and the
> buffered read is < 2MB/sec.   (This cause the boot to be very slow.)
>
> I installed the iwl3945 ucode and the module gets inserted.
> NetworkManager doesn't see the wireless.  I didn't try very hard to
> get this working.
>
> I get the following error on boot and the HAL demon complains at boot.
> WARNING: at drivers/usb/core/driver.c:1192 usb_autopm_do_device() (Not tainted)
>  [<c058ab17>] usb_autopm_do_device+0x63/0xd9
>  [<c058aed4>] usb_suspend_both+0x1fc/0x20c
>  [<c058ab76>] usb_autopm_do_device+0xc2/0xd9
>  [<c04384a6>] kthread+0x38/0x5e
>  [<c043846e>] kthread+0x0/0x5e
>  [<c0405b6b>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
>  =======================

Why do you think that USB warning is related to the wireless trouble you have?

I see that same warning every time I start up, but the Dell D820's
ipw3945 still works fine.  I am using the ipw3945 driver now, not the
iwl3945 in the kernel.

I think you should look for the solution to your wireless trouble in
the wiereless configuration, not in that kernel message.  I do NOT use
NetworkManager, it works only intermittently anyway when I try it.
But if  you turn off NetworkManager and network, and use
system-config-network to set up one wireless network, then you can
easily see how those things are specified by the scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and you can use /sbin/ifup XXX and
/sbin/ifdown XXX to turn them on and off.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science