Fedora Core 6 Test Update: kernel-2.6.22.1-15.fc6

James Hubbard jameshubbard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:02:14 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, James Hubbard <jameshubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Parameters:
> > .22: vga=791 nohz=off highres=off
> > .20: vga=791
> > Dell M65 laptop with no devices connected.
> >
> > Using  2.6.20-1.2962, my hard drive shows up as sda with buffered disk
> > read of ~49MB/sec.  Under  the .22 kernel it shows up as hda and the
> > buffered read is < 2MB/sec.   (This cause the boot to be very slow.)
> >
> > I installed the iwl3945 ucode and the module gets inserted.
> > NetworkManager doesn't see the wireless.  I didn't try very hard to
> > get this working.
> >
> > I get the following error on boot and the HAL demon complains at boot.
> > WARNING: at drivers/usb/core/driver.c:1192 usb_autopm_do_device() (Not tainted)
> >  [<c058ab17>] usb_autopm_do_device+0x63/0xd9
> >  [<c058aed4>] usb_suspend_both+0x1fc/0x20c
> >  [<c058ab76>] usb_autopm_do_device+0xc2/0xd9
> >  [<c04384a6>] kthread+0x38/0x5e
> >  [<c043846e>] kthread+0x0/0x5e
> >  [<c0405b6b>] kernel_thread_helper+0x7/0x10
> >  =======================
> >
> Why do you think that USB warning is related to the wireless trouble you have?

I did _not_ say that the USB warning was related to the wireless.
I've not noticed the USB error before.  I'm just reporting what I
occurred during the boot.

> I see that same warning every time I start up, but the Dell D820's
> ipw3945 still works fine.  I am using the ipw3945 driver now, not the
> iwl3945 in the kernel.

I too am currently running the ipw3945 v1.2.1 with the .20 kernel.   I
was just attempting to use the supplied iwl3945 driver in hopes of
getting suspend/resume working, which doesn't work.

> I think you should look for the solution to your wireless trouble in
> the wiereless configuration, not in that kernel message.  I do NOT use
> NetworkManager, it works only intermittently anyway when I try it.
> But if  you turn off NetworkManager and network, and use
> system-config-network to set up one wireless network, then you can
> easily see how those things are specified by the scripts in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and you can use /sbin/ifup XXX and
> /sbin/ifdown XXX to turn them on and off.

NetworkManager works pretty consistently for me and makes things
easier.  I've written and modified the network scripts in the past so
you're not talking to a total noob.

This was just a report of things that weren't working after a cursory
glance.  I'm more concerned by the fact that my hard drive speed has
dropped rather than by the USB or the wireless issues.  I'm usually
working at a docking station so I don't have to worry about the
wireless.   The machine is unusable with the hard drive speed at <
2MB/sec.  The boot takes forever and the software that I'm working on
would take all day to compile.

James Hubbard