Fedora Core 6 Test Update: kernel-2.6.22.1-15.fc6

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 02:24:53 UTC 2007

On 7/17/07, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/16/2007 07:41 PM, James Hubbard wrote:
> > Parameters:
> > .22: vga=791 nohz=off highres=off
>
> Do bad things happen without 'nohz=off highres=off'?
> We will probably make that the default if people are having problems
> when they are enabled.

I run my Dell D820 without those options and it "seems" fine.  If you
give me a list of checks to run, I will be glad to do it.  The system
runs well, and suspend to RAM does work.  I will restart with the nohz
and highres options off to see what happens.

The only wrinkle I see now is that automount is gobbling up a lot of
CPU time.  Right now it is 12%, but a moment ago it said 33%:

 2078 root      20   0  6144 1156  912 S   12  0.1   0:52.74 automount

Will some udev magic replace autofs, so I don't need to run that just
to get USB memory sticks and CDRs mounted?

Well, perhaps this is related to kernel timing.  I just learned how to
use bluetooth to send files to my Nokia N800 tablet.  It takes about 3
minutes to send a 4 megabyte song.  Horrible slow, I think.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science