boot with mode=vesa

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 15:23:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 08:05 -0500, Justin Conover wrote:
> Is there some switch to boot with vesa instead of detecting your video
> card and using "nv" for example?  I have a newer mobile 8400 card and
> the screen just goes black when it starts the gui.  I have been trying
> to build a rawhide dvd since F7 doesn't detect my dvd drive after the
> initial boot, which seems kind of odd that it boots and loads up and
> then ask cd/http/nfs and then can't find the dvd driver.  FC6 installs
> but doesn't find the tg3 nic so updating turns into a problem :)

On the installer command line:

xdriver=vesa

If you've already installed, boot into runlevel 3 and edit xorg.conf.

And yeah, G80 LVDS is broken, even upstream.  I'm currently beating on
it, hopefully have a fix soon.  F7 is broken because the nv driver
attempts to claim all G80 devices as belonging to nv, which turned out
to be a mistake.

- ajax