Fetchmail WARNING: Running as root is discouraged....

Bob Hillegas bobhillegas at houston.rr.com
Sat Jun 9 03:12:09 UTC 2007

I see email on this going back 2 years.

OK so I'd like to run my crontab process as something other than root, say fetchmail. I set the fetchmailrc files to be owned by fetchmail, I run all my fetchmail invocations in crontab as fetchmail, and I get:
//.fetchmail.pid: Permission denied
fetchmail: lock creation failed

I look at /var/run and see that group root has rw rights to it, so I add group root as additional group to fetchmail.

Same results.

QUESTION: What directory is fetchmail attempting to create fetchmail.pid?

Thanks, BobH

Bob Hillegas
bobhillegas at gmail.com