so what is that deal with fonts?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jun 12 22:29:46 UTC 2007

At least for some of us rawhide updates right after F7 relese made
fonts to shrink, without any action on users part,  to sizes
requiring a big magnifying glass.  So what is the problem?  One can
change font sizes in "Preferences" and make them reasonable again.
Right?  Unfortunately wrong - at least in some situations.

For example, even with font sizes changed what shows up in menu
bars, URL windows, etc.  of firefox remains miniscule.  I can blow
up "Application Font" size and some of that in firefox will become
more reasonable but then this will affect such font in other places
too and what now is used, say, as a font on panels and menus becomes
ridiculously big.  What is worse in various forms, say firefox
preferences setup, fonts stay as small as at the beginning totally
oblivious to general changes.  I can squint a bit and still read
that but, for example, for my wife which has serious vision
problems, that would be totally unacceptable.  Most likely this is
not the only application with such behaviour.

Any ideas where is this bug or bugs and why fonts changed base
sizes in the first place?  Looks like a recipe for serious
headaches.

   Michal