Semi-OT: Nvidia Binary performance under load

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Tue Jun 26 18:53:51 UTC 2007

dragoran wrote:

> try coping the attached script  to /usr/local/bin (and restart X after doing so)

That fixes the performance problem.  I'm assuming that's the --direct-rendering that's fixing it.  What does "--loose-binding" and "--ignore-desktop-hints" do?

Also, this has introduced some other problems:

1) I can no longer switch to the text VTs correctly.  I believe this is something that NVidia was supposed to have addressed in this latest release, but apparently with direct-rendering it still doesn't work as it should.  I switch once to the text VT, but when I switch back, I just have a black screen in X.  The mouse still works, but nothing else is on the screen.  If I do this a couple of times, I end up with a completely useless system (no keys respond any more and I can't get to a text console to init 3).

2) For whatever reason with all the hard powering off/on (b/c of the previous problem), my compiz plugin settings got whacked.  So, now I can manually go into gconf-editor and add them back in, but the "decoration" plugin which gives me borders seems to disappear on each session restart.  I don't know if that's something that I need to save in my session properties or not.  I'll mess with that later.  At least for my currently running session, I have what I need.

Thanks,
Brian