Interactive RPM installs - I thought you said that was BAD, Egon.

David Hagood david.hagood at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 15:54:06 UTC 2007

I've noticed in the last couple of updates I've done from testing that
certain RPMs are now running an interactive script during the install,
asking about merging config files (bind and cups for starters).

I thought that interactivity during an RPM install was Considered
Harmful, and that all RPMs were to install non-interactively - indeed,
this was one of the big differences between RPM and DEB. I thought that
the idea was that RPM updates could be applied by CRON jobs or other
automatic operations without user intervention.

Is that now being abandoned?

Personally, I *like* the idea that I can kick off an update and know
that it will run to completion without having to babysit it. If that
rule is broken, then I can no longer be assured that any give update
will run to completion without me checking up on it.

I would far rather see some mechanism whereby RPMs can register a script
to be run at some future time to do any post-install configuration
needed, and still maintain the ability to do an unattended upgrade (i.e.
running the script should be optional, not mandatory).