Fedora 7 Test 2 issues I've found

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 5 17:45:46 UTC 2007

Carlo Wise wrote:
> I recently installed Fedora 7 in order to test 2 of the features that I
> feel are most important, secure filesystems and rock-solid wireless. I
> am in the process of testing Fedora 7 and here are some issues I have found:
>
> 1. I seem to remember a few weeks ago seeing a feature of encrypted
> filesystems. It is not present nor is it present in the feature list
> anymore. This is a HUGE mistake. Encrypted filesystems are, in my
> opinion, one of the most important features that Fedora is missing and
> without that it limits the benefit of Fedora. Other distros such as
> OpenSuSE have had support for encrypted filesystems since at least
> version 10.1 (2 versions ago).

Encrypted filesystems is possible in different ways. The specification
was about better integration in the installer etc. The last change
describes what needs to be done.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureEncryptedFilesystems?action=info

In short, send patches.
> 2. Test 2 does not detect the Intel 2100, 2200, 2915 series of wireless
> cards. This is also a huge hole and it is one of the supposed features
> of Fedora 7. Core 6 at least detected the hardware and it would work
> provided the wireless network did not have WEP enabled but Fedora 7 does
> not even detect the hardware so far. This is a big step backwards. In my
> opinion, robust and reliable wireless support is one of the most
> important items for any Linux distro and is present in other distros I
> have tested.

The drivers are in the kernel and probably does detect cards. The
problem is in the firmware many of these are still being reviewed. There
were some licensing issues that prevented them from being included in
Fedora before. For the WEP issue, file a bug report.

> 3. Upgrading to Fedora 7 from Core 6 does not fully upgrade. It appears
> many Core 6 packages are not upgraded and though the upgrade process
> completes successfully, once you log in and try to update the system it
> fails and cannot do so. I had to download all the update packages and
> attempt to upgrade them manually. A clean install works much more
> reliably though, I had no problems updating on a clean install.

Can you provide a list of packages not being updated?

Rahul