yum and broken deps

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Mar 14 14:25:04 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:
>> oldman wrote:

> It shouldn't matter which comes first. It seems to me that the plugin is
> easily confused though.  It's my recollection that the error messages
> left by the plugin make it much easier to build the --exclude line as it
> has always been that some program already installed will break due to
> the program waiting to be installed that throws the error. OTOH a
> program that can't meet its dependencies will be skipped properly.  It
> might be that the plugin is not acting properly though - I may do some
> looking for docs & maybe file a BZ unless someone does it first.
>
> Scott
>>>

>> I was thinking that the -- followed by the parameter would not matter
>> for order.
>>
>> I didn't have any luck with the plugin and resorted to the script that
>> Dave posted a long while back to update the system. The strange thing
>> is that after letting the script update the remaining packages,
>> (Mostly gnome)the remaining packages were ALL installed. Running yum
>> with or without the --skip-broken parameter would fail to complete
>> successfully.
>>
>> All rpms are installed from development now.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I think the problem with yum and the skip-broken resides because of
> these dep errors put out by package-cleanup. Why the packages all
> installed with a one by one script is confusing to me though.

>  package-cleanup --problems
> Setting up yum
> Reading local RPM database
> Processing all local requires
> Missing dependencies:
> Package gnome-applets requires libgucharmap.so.5
> Package frysk requires libgcj.so.7rh

> locate libgucharmap.so
> /usr/lib/libgucharmap.so.6
> /usr/lib/libgucharmap.so.6.0.1

> locate libgcj.so
> /usr/lib/libgcj.so.8rh
> /usr/lib/libgcj.so.8rh.0.0

> Jim
Maybe you just got lucky, as I am currently upgrading gucharmap and
libgcj (and the new versions of frysk and gnome-applets too!)and I used
the yum --skip-broken.
The yum plugin seems to work quite a bit faster for me, but I'm still
not convinced it's properly excluding some packages that it should and
at least 2 packages it has seriously broken yum to the point that yum
threw a python exception.

Scott