FC7T2 Dual Boot issues.

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Mar 15 19:18:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:53:55AM -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> To test CentOS 5, I loaded from DVD adding it to
> a system at home running Fedora Core 7 T2.
>
> Partition Layout is:
> /dev/hda1   -  / for the RH7T2 system
>
> However,
> If I choose the FC7T2 system I get the following output:
> Booting 'FC7T2'
>
> rootnoverify(hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format

You apparently have grub installed on MBR, i.e. 'setup (hd0)'.
For the above to work you need it _also_ on that partition
you are feeding to a chainloader, i.e. 'setup (hd0,0)' while
installing grub.

This works fine.  On my test box I have a quite a number of
different installations booted by such "two stage" method.
Putting all that into one flat 'grub.conf' file would be
unmaintainable.

   Michal