kvm-16 and f7t2 livecd

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 02:25:40 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 17:49 -0400, James Hubbard wrote:
> I've noticed that when I boot the Fedora 7 Test 2 livecd with
> kvm-16/qemu (VT enabled) that the network doesn't activate and the
> screen resolution maximum is 800x600.

If you change the monitor to something better, can you get a better
resolution?  (Should work).  I started looking at making it so that the
cirrus driver would detect that it's really qemu/kvm and thus can do a
better resolution, but then went on vacation.  Definitely worth filing
something, probably against xorg-x11-drv-cirrus (or better yet, upstream
against it) and feel free to cc me.

> Using the network tool to
> activate the network causes the adapter to get an ip address.

What network card model are you telling kvm to use?  It may be that a
network driver isn't properly telling NetworkManager about link state.

> Grub doesn't display properly, but that's a known problem from what I
> can tell when reading through the kvm archives. Using the -std-vga
> option allows grub to display properly, but an error message is
> produced.  Pressing enter at the garbled screen allows the boot
> process to continue.

Not actually grub here, it's isolinux instead FWIW.  And from the
investigation I've done thus far, it's pointing towards an emulation bug
within the qemu cirrus vga model.  But debugging video bioses is not
fun :-/

> For comparison, I can boot a Knoppix iso and the network activates.
> The screen resolution is greater than 800x600.

Hrmm... I wonder what Knoppix is doing for X setup.  Downloading a copy
now to take a look hopefully in the morning.

Jeremy