rawhide-20070502 live images

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Sat May 5 05:04:13 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > Note that the x86_64 images require DVD media,
>
> Or a CD-R99 if your CD writer supports that. The KDE image is 849963008 bytes,
> a CD-R90 is ~824832000 bytes (i.e. NOT enough, it can fit the GNOME image at
> 819398656 bytes though), a CD-R99 is ~920829952 bytes (but most CD writers
> don't support that up to full capacity). (I put those ~ signs there because the
> actual capacities can vary, especially with non-standard formats like
> CD-R90/99.) It would be nice to keep these sizes in mind too when
> adding/removing packages.
>
> Or one could cheap out on the error checking and burn in Mode 2/XA mode, which
> fits the GNOME iso on a regular CD-R80 and the KDE one on a CD-R90 (possibly
> even an overburned CD-R80). But I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I've been using mini-DVD-RW to burn the ISOs on. Lots of space, small
enough to easily fit in your pocket and fairly cheap (now that a lot
of video recorders use them). When a new test ISO comes along, I just
erase it and reburn the new image. Seems to even boot on some
CD/DVD-ROM drives where bootable CDRs don't work.

/Mike