standard "xwininfo" not installed by FC7T4

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue May 8 17:21:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 11:26:54AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 08:58 -0500, ron flory wrote:
> >
> >   If X is installed, xwininfo should be installed.  I can't
> > be the only person who does this sort of thing...

I would not go that far but xorg-x11-utils should be available
(which it is).

> Given that you're the first person to complain about it in the entirety
> of the F7 cycle, you may well be the only person.

You mean the only person which has use for such things?  Definitely
not.  On various occasions utilities like xwininfo, xprop, xev,
xfontsel, xdpyinfo were crucial for me while, obviously, these
are not things used every day. For example, if you are trying
to set up something for devilspie doing that "in blind" is a truly
loosing proposition.  OTOH I have xorg-x11-utils usually installed
as a matter of fact so I was not paying attention if that shows
up in defaults.

> Personally I don't care either way.  I don't think most of
> xorg-x11-utils gets used enough to be worth installing by default, but I
> also wouldn't object if it were.

Once you used it is hardly worth to bother to deinstall the package
even if the next time when you will need it will be in a half year
or so.

   Michal