F7-T4 Install Woes (LVM, RAID, grub)

Brian Hanks bhanks at bhanks.com
Wed May 9 17:49:13 UTC 2007

  >Seriously, we're not ignoring them - I personally have spent a *lot* of
> time trying to reproduce these problems. But either I lack the needed
> hardware (e.g. Sil 3112 RAID) or I don't have enough information about
> the drive/partition layout, and I can't trigger the problems.

Many thanks to those that work to produce these releases.  My
intention wasn't to imply that there isn't a lot of time spent today.

> It's frustrating for us too - we really *want* to fix this stuff, we
> spend hours trying to reproduce it, but in the end we lack some key
> piece of info or hardware to make it happen.
>
> Where are your bug reports? Give us some BZ numbers, and we'll do the
> best we can to get them on the blocker list and get 'em fixed for F7.
> But we can't fix your problems without a lot of help from you - after
> all, we don't have your hardware and we don't have your disk layout.

I will file a bug report this evening that will include the exact
hardware, disk layouts, and LVM configuration.  The easy way to
reproduce would be to install FC6 Re-Spin on the system per the config
that I'll post.  Then, do an install of F7-T4 over the top of the
existing install reformatting everything with the exception of the
non-OS data partitions.

> Are you suggesting I spend an *insignificant* amount of time doing
> regression testing? We do the best we can, and with a 6-month release
> cycle the next one's always just around the corner. It's a monstrous
> task and it couldn't happen without your active participation.
>
> So thanks for continuing to help, despite your frustration. Please keep
> testing and try to be patient. The more we all work together the faster
> these things will get done.

Again, I wasn't trying to start a flame war.  I was just trying to
express my frustration.  It seems that there are certain test cases
(e.g. RAID/LVM) that don't get as much attention as others.  This
might not be true, it might only be perception.  I know that you and
many others spend a lot of time on all types of testing, and I
understand that the timelines of the Fedora release schedule are very
challenging.

That said, I'll try to get to my main point.  I, for one, wouldn't
mind relaxing the schedule a bit in the name of a better quality
product.

Thanks again to all that help make these releases a reality!!  It's
something that doesn't get said enough in these mailing lists.

-- Brian