bcm43xx firmware is too old

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri May 11 23:20:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 15:12 -0700, alan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007, Clifford Snow wrote:

> >> .
> >>
> >> This really depends on the model number and revision of your chipset.
> >>
> >> I have a bcm4306 revision 2 chipset.  The bcm43xx_mac80211 driver will not
> >> work for me.  (The chipset does not have enough memory for the revision 4
> >> firmware.)  I had to blacklist that driver and use the old bcm43xx driver.
> >
> > I also have the bcm4306 revision 2 chipset.  I'm not sure what you mean
> > by blacklist the driver to use the old bcm43xx driver.
> >
> > If the older chip isn't able to handle the requirements for the new
> > bcm43xx module, shouldn't that be discovered on install?
>
> "Should" and "Does" are two different things.
>
> Add the module name to /etc/modules.d/blacklist.  (Edit the file and you
> will see what it wants for format.)
Thanks! That worked great.

For other with the same problem, I added blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

removed the old modules with rmmod bcm43xx_mac80211
added the new module with modprobe bcm43xx

I rebooted to make sure that everything loaded correctly next time I
turn the laptop on.

Now it recognizes the old softmac module.

Should this be filed in bugzilla?