VMware Workstation 6.0 Final - NoGo on F7T4

Christopher A. Williams chrisw at cawllc.com
Mon May 14 13:04:59 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 09:20 -0700, Tom London wrote:
> On 5/13/07, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw at cawllc.com> wrote:
> > Just a Heads up...
> >
> > VMware Workstation 6.0 was released a couple of days ago and does not
> > run or compile on F7T4. At least not yet. The latest available "Platan"
> > patches (vmware-any-any-update109) also report back that this is an
> > unsupported version of VMware and refuse to install.
> >
> > We may have to wait a little while for the 6.0 patches to catch up...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Chris
>
> I've been running/compiling the 'stock' 6.0 beta and now the release version.
>
> The 'trick' is to remove one option from
> /usr/src/kernels/KERNEL-VER/Makefile (replace 'KERNEL_VER' with the
> appropriate name for your kernel, e.g., '2.6.21-1.3149.fc7-PAE-i686').
>
> Edit Makefile, look for and remove '-Wextra' (its on line 318 in the
> Makefile for my system).
>
> 'vmware-config.pl' works after that.
>
> One more thing: 6.0 includes new code, I think to support copy/paste
> functions, that causes issues if you run with SELinux enabled.
> Easiest workaround is to edit /etc/vmware/locations to disable the
>
> I've needed no other 'patches'.

Thanks for the pointers! I commented out the line with Wextra and
replaced it with a duplicate that does not include that parameter and
everything compiled as it should.

I'm surprised there isn't anything we can do about the SELinux issues.
Would the troubleshooter be able to help? I'm also curious why this
parameter in the kernel Makefile would cause these kinds of issues.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Never murder a man when he's