[OT] nvidia proprietary drivers stability (was Re: F7 - NVidia driver broken?)

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:12:41 UTC 2007

I'm using the livna repository (see http://rpm.livna.org) that for
example has the 3142 version of the 9755 driver.
And in general (see for example fc6)  it also ships the xen version
kernel module.
Actually in latest packages (both fc6 and f7) I noticed that sometimes
at boot the system freezes when starting the rhgb graphic part (I
suppose also in that part the nvidia driver is used...) with a black
screen and the only way is to power off and restart.
Also, if you switch to virtual terminal and then back to X, after 2-3
of these, you get the same freeze too.... with the nv drivers this
doesn't happen (tried 20 consecutive switches only for two times ;-)
The worse is that also the nice (for me at least) fast user switch
functionality is based on restart of X windows system and so you risk
seriously to get the same freeze too....
I didn't find any sure information but I remember that this problem
could depend on livna packaging: can anyone confirm this or have same
experience as me in fc6 / f7?
My board is 6600 le

I added the [OT] tag as perhaps discussing proprietary drivers and
external repositories could not be the best for this list....
Thanks,
Gianluca