X restart while updating?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri May 18 03:41:17 UTC 2007

Tom Horsley wrote:

> [root at zooty ~]# package-cleanup --problems
> Setting up yum
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Reading local RPM database
> Processing all local requires
> Missing dependencies:
> Package dvdstyler requires mjpegtools
> Package dvdstyler requires mpgtx
> Package dvdstyler requires y4mscaler
> Package transcode requires libmjpegutils-1.8.so.0()(64bit)
> Package transcode requires libquicktime.so.0()(64bit)
> Package dap-server-cgi requires dap-server = 3.7.1-4.fc7
> Package gallery2-ffmpeg requires gallery2 = 2.1-0.24.svn20060817.fc6
> Package authconfig-gtk requires authconfig = 5.3.13-3.fc7
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::BrowseEntry)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::BrowseEntry)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::JPEG)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::JPEG)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::LabFrame)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::Photo)
> Package streamdvd-gui requires perl(Tk::Photo)
> Package xscreensaver requires xscreensaver-base = 1:5.02-1.fc7
> Package ffmpeg-libs requires libgsm.so.1()(64bit)
> Package glibc requires glibc-common = 2.5.90-21
> Package avidemux requires libjs.so.1()(64bit)
>
> In any case, yum seems to be working. I'm downloading another slew
> of updates with yumex again (I'll see if the X server restarts
> again :-).
>
> Or maybe there is a problem, yumex just reported:
>
> No package Matching glibc.i686 :-).
>
> I'l play with it some and see how it goes. I can always just
> abandon it till the reinstall.

I ran the script on my computer and had a problem related to kdeaddons.
I used 'rpm -e --justdb kdeaddons' followed by 'yum install kdeaddons'

Initial report:
  package-cleanup --problems
Setting up yum
Reading local RPM database
Processing all local requires
Missing dependencies:
Package kdeaddons requires libnoatun.so.1
Package kdeaddons requires libnoatunarts.so
Package kdeaddons requires libnoatuncontrols.so.1
Package kdeaddons requires libnoatuntags.so.1

Then rpm -qV kdeaddons showed a slew of errors

After the db entry removal and reinstallation, both rpm and
package-cleanup are happy. This method might work for your problems.

Also, there is a script that works pretty decent to find multiple
package entries in the rpm database which are usually caused by force
killing yum or an X that abruptly resets. This script will exclude
packages that are legitimate multiple versions like kernels and public
keys and take 64-bit and 32-bit packages into consideration. You can
locate the multiple package entries and remove the db entry (not the
actual package in case it is a critical package, like glibc) and then
verify the newer version. If things are not coming back normally with
rpm verify, you could remove the database entry with --justdb and yum
install it again. You might get some rpmnew files but the program should
verify correctly afterward.

Since yum is a critical package replacing system and program packages,
running it in a virtual terminal instead of in a gnome-terminal or kde
terminal is safest in case the GUI reset mysteriously again on you.

Jim

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
		-- Arthur Kasspe