Problems with the tg3 module

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri May 18 15:42:47 UTC 2007

I am hsuddently having problems with the tg3 ethernet modules on two
separate machines and kernels. In both cases the problem behavior is
exactly the same--the ifup reports no link present. When I run ethtool I
get (among other data points)::

Supported ports: [ MII ]
        Port: Twisted Pair

In both cases continuing to issue "service network restart' eventually
clears the problem and starts the link, though ethtool still does not
show 'tp' in 'supported ports.'

I get this on FC6 with the 2.6.20-1.2948 kernel, and on F-7 with
2.6.21-1.3163. The ethernet devices are Altima (nee Broadcom) AC9100 and
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5704, respectively.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina at a11y.org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina at a11y.org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org