Yum is kicking because of glibc-common conflicts

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri May 18 17:08:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:37:38PM -0400, Arch Willingham wrote:
> You are right....I tried that and got:
> rpm -qa |grep glibc-common
> glibc-common-2.5.90-22
> glibc-common-2.5.90-21

In a package 'yum-utils' there is something called 'package-cleanup'.
It has an option to list all duplicates.

> I then ran 'rpm -e --nodeps glibc-common-2.5.90-21.rpm' which whacked the
> duplicate package.

Actually it is better idea here to remove glibc-common-2.5.90-22
and run 'yup update' again.  The catch is that 'rpm -e ...'
possibly removed various files which belonged to both 2.5.90-21 and
2.5.90-22.  If you will do now 'rpm -V glibc-common' then chances
are that you will get a slew of 'missing' (unless by now you got an
update to even a newer version of glibc).

If 'rpm -V' does report missing files then you can use rpm with
'--force' option to install affected packages again and this will
fix the problem.  Removing newer duplicate is surely easier.

   Michal