Fedora rawhide live images (20070517)

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Sat May 19 13:04:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 00:00 -0700, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 14:38 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > First set of post-merge rawhide live images.  These are based off of
> > yesterday's rawhide (packages tagged f7-final in koji).
> >
> > You can get the torrent file from http://torrent.fedoraproject.org.
> > Available images are i386, x86_64, i386 KDE and also an x86_64 KDE
> > image.  Note that the x86_64 images require DVD media, the i386 images
> > will fit on 700 meg CD media.   Please file any issues against
> > product Fedora Core, version devel and against the relevant component or
> > LiveCD if you're unsure.
> >
> > Thanks for your help and support of Fedora!
> >
> > Jeremy
> >

> _We_ the collective are aware that the x86_64 live spins can't fit on a
> CD-R yes?  Is there time to repair this?

Sadly, no. At least, not for F7. We've had this discussion every time
we've released an x86_64 live image (We call them "Live Images" and not
"LiveCD images" for a reason...)

x86_64 binaries are just plain bigger than their i386 counterparts.. and
then there's the multilib thing. We'd have to drop a *bunch* of packages
to make it work, and then i386 users would miss out on the stuff we
dropped, for no real benefit.

But if you've got an x86_64, it's likely that you also have other
new-ish hardware, like a DVD-R drive or a USB flashdrive that's 1GB or
larger. (Yes, you can use a USB stick - you don't even need to reformat
it, as long as it's got enough free space. For more info:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live)

Either of those will work as boot media for the Live image. And
if you don't have those, your x86_64 will still run the i386 CD.

Hope that helps.

-w