yum is installing both i386 and x86_64 for everything

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue May 22 22:02:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007 18:56:29 +0200 (CEST)
Adam Pribyl <pribyl at lowlevel.cz> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Neal Becker wrote:
>
> > I have several x86_64 with current rawhide.  If I do
> > yum install blah
> >
> > It will install both blah.i386 and blah.x86_64.
>
> This only happens if you have both i386 and x86_64 repos enabled. This is
> not default configuration. If you enable only x86_64 then this repo only
> contains i386 packages for libs and apps that are necessary also on x86_64
> platform.

Actually I have a different problem. I was just fixing up some breakage
in my f7t4 partition by manually installing some things and if I do
something like:

yum install libwhatever.so.1

it only installs the i386 library even though I wanted both. Fortunately
the output from that install allows me to determine that the library
is in the rpm named whatever-libs so I can then:

yum install whatever-libs.x86_64

and get the missing 64 bit version.