Fedora 7 Final testing

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat May 26 19:07:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 14:02:05 -0400,
  Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> It's been discussed. We've done tests with RPM patched to ignore any
> %post/%postun scripts that were just /sbin/ldconfig - in testing, it
> didn't make any difference.

Maybe you were running on faster hardware. (Perhaps the library files all
stayed in teh OS cache during your testing.) On the machine I was updating
these processes were running for a few seconds each time something
needed them. And there were at least dozens out of the 1350 updates
that called them. There is a good argument that they weren't that
significant compared to the other stuff going on then. But it would probably
cut a couple of minutes off a process that went for over an hour and
a half (that's just the finishing upgrade step and I had to go home before
it finished so I don' know how much longer it took). Perhaps there is better
bang for the buck in other places. There is also no progress bar for this
step which makes it hard to tell how far along things are. For a step
that runs for over an hour, I don't think this is a good thing.

Running top while the post processing was going on showed anaconda with
about %40 of my 512MB and noticiable CPU, but not pegged (typical less
than 20%). I could hear the disk drives making noise (I think seeks, but
I don't know for sure) during this process that they don't make when things
are fairly idle.