Problems with mounting usb-storage partitions?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:31:59 UTC 2007

I have been having these problems intermittently, and have not been able to
ascertain the reason: on a computer with a USB mass storage device attached,
logging into the desktop does not result in the drive being automounted by
gnome-volume-manager.

Symptoms:
- After boot is complete, logging on to a console and doing 'dmesg | grep
sd' does not list the external drives
- After power-cycling one of the external drives, now udev picks *all* the
external drives up, and creates device nodes for them
- HAL (I'm guessing) does not necessarily sees all the drives. I have two
drives, one a WDC MyBook external drive that is reliably mounted with FC6,
and the other an Addonics drive cage that I use to mount an old laptop hard
drive. All the Addonics partitions are mounted by g-v-m (including the
Windows NTFS partition, with ntfs-3g), but I have to manually mount the
MyBook's single ext3 partition.

What gives? The volume label is "My Book", just in case it's the space
that's causing the problem.

Will bugzilla this, but would love a comment on whether this is a HAL-only
bug, udev-only, both, or even mkinitrd (if usb-storage is not in the initrd
again)

Regards,
--
Michel Salim