Fedora 7 Test 4 GNOME based i386 Live CD report

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 2 10:04:04 UTC 2007

John Morris wrote:

> Seems like as good a time as any for a good rant.....
>
> How about Firefox being trademark encumbered and therefore illegal to
> redistribute without a special license?   RedHat has signed such a
> license so can redistribute their modified version in RHEL; but the
> Fedora Foundation had damned well better not be signing any such thing
> while prancing about tossing packages out far less serious deviations
> from purity.  (openmotif for example.  I'm not arguing for patented
> codecs and closed drivers.)

Firefox is not illegal to distribute without a special license. That
claim is completely wrong. If you modify Firefox and need to retain the
name you need permission or you need to distribute it with a different
nam which is the very similar to Fedora on the whole. Your comparison
between Firefox and Openmotif shows some all too common confusion
between trademark and copyright.

I would recommend watching
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/007may05/features/ip/

Fedora Foundation does not exist btw. See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundation. Next time you go on ranting it
would better to do some basic fact checking first.

Rahul