sd, sd, who's got the sd

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu May 3 14:48:54 UTC 2007

> I finally dug up a couple of more filesystems as well:
>
> There is a --label option to reiserfstune.
>
> There is a -L option to jfs_tune (whatever JFS is :-).
>
> There may be something like a "tune" app for most filesystems.
>
> I found a note about someone who didn't like the xfstune name,
> but haven't actually found a description of the actual tuning
> app for xfs filesystems. It probably goes on and on...
>
> Hey, I found it! xfs_admin has a -L option.

It appears we are getting a workable approach to the issue:

There are ways to label pretty much all of the file systems.
Both the /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab can use these labels.
The grub.conf file can also use UUID's

(It would be nice if fdisk could do this across the board)

That leaves the /boot/grub/device.map.  The grub command prompt
like to use devices fo the form (hd0) or (hd0,0).  If you are
booting from CD and the CD version picks up different SD numbers
than the original system you are trying to fix, Will the setup
work correctly

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ