F7T4 PPC installs fine, but won't boot

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 4 05:34:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 22:10 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Here it is...
> http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4779.JPG
>
> Here are some other data points...
>
> # how I formatted the drive at install time--the 8M HFS partition was
> left over from the first install and I wasn't sure what to do with it
> http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4777.JPG

OpenFirmware can't grok your partitions.

> # booted a gentoo live ppc cd and ran fdisk
> http://people.redhat.com/poelstra/ppc-install/DSCN4782.JPG

DOS fdisk can grok your partitions (ew, why Gentoo live CD not Fedora?)

It looks like you tried installing on a disk with DOS partition table.
Although the installer will use the correct partition type on a brand
new disk, it won't _change_ partition types if it finds a partition
table already there -- even if you tell it to throw away all partitions
and start again. So install to a DOS-partitioned disk on a Mac, or to a
Mac-partitioned disk on a PC, and you'll end up with an unbootable
machine because anaconda _won't_ fix it, even though it knows what type
of partition table you need. Some might consider that a bug worth
reporting in bugzilla.

The easy option is to boot a live cd again, use parted to write out an
empty _MAC_ partition table, and reinstall. The cunning option is to see
if you can set up a mac partition table which precisely matches the
location of your original data on the disk.

--
dwmw2