Eclipse broken?

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Tue May 8 14:13:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-05 at 17:12 -0400, Andy Baumhauer wrote:
> Installed latest Fedora Eclipse and it won't start.  Gives the following
> error:
>
> /root/workspace/.metadata/.log:

You really shouldn't be running it as root.  Besides the normal reasons,
Eclipse may try to write stuff to the install directory which can affect
the installation.

> java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.

This is a problem we've seen before with a corrupted platform.xml.  It
*may* have occurred because you ran as root but I'm not 100% sure of
that.  What's the output of:

for f in eclipse-rcp eclipse-platform eclipse-sdk; do echo $f; rpm -qV
$f; done

?

Andrew