Windows displayed incorrectly? (no functional compiz window manager)

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 14 11:11:11 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson wrote:
>> David Nielsen wrote:
>>> I'm seeing the same thing with Compiz enabled curently, it's odd since
>>> for the most part Compiz has behaved really well all during the F7
>>> cycle. Do we have a bug on this?
>>>
>>> - David
>>>
>> The symptom sounds like the window manager is not functional. You might
>> try metacity --replace and file a bug regarding compiz malfunctioning.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Jim:
>
> Thanks for the response.  I tried metacity --replace and when I press
> <ENTER> the window headers immediately appear.  metacity does nothing
> for a few minutes and then prints;
>
> [root at localhost knute]# metacity --replace
> Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007
> specified for 0x2600023 (Input).
> Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007
> specified for 0x2600023 (Input).
> Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007
> specified for 0x2600023 (Input).
> Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600007
> specified for 0x2600023 (Input).
>
> and then nothing.  It does not return to the prompt.  If I kill
> metacity the window headers immediately disappear.
>
> Anything else I can try?  Why would it work fine for root but not me?
>
> Thanks,

I guess 'metacity --replace &' would free up the terminal window.

If you wanted to permanently change the window manager,
'gnome-session-properties &' has the save the current session option
under session options.

The last time that I needed to deal with a defunct window manager, I ran
these commands as the current GUI user from a gnome-terminal. (All
lapped over in the upper left corner before starting the window manager)
You should be able to launch a terminal from applications/System
tools/terminal from the menu.

Jim