GParted included in FC7, but doesnt support LVM !!!!!!!

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Tue May 15 12:09:58 UTC 2007

LarryT wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been told by some GParted end-users that GParted has been
> included into the next FC7 release.
> Is it true ?
It is also available in FC6 extras {0.3.3}.
Since core and extras are merged, I expect it will be available from the
yum repo.
> Do you know that atm GParted doesn't support LVM ?
I do now. system-config-lvm is a gui tool for working with lvm, and this
is included in fc6,7.

The unknown partition message gparted displays could be misconstrued by
users. Partition !  Filesystem=unknown  Flags=lvm
Double-clicking gives the info dialog:
   status: not mounted
!warning:
Unable to detect filesystem! Possible reasons are:
- the filesystem is damaged
- the filesystem is unknown to gparted
- there is no filesystem available (unformatted)

How hard would it be to detect the lvm type {the flag is already shown},
and display a ~"known but not modifiable with gparted" message ?

It really just need to do something specific for Id=8e, see eg:
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1               1           6       48163+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2   *           7        1050     8385930    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/hda3            1051       14593   108784147+  8e  Linux LVM

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the internals of gparted/parted.

DaveT.