Gnome desktop does nothing no icons

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 18:53:52 UTC 2007

Dear list,

   Apparently Gnome does not want to work.  It just
loads the wallpaper and no icons.  I am looking for
gnome-session in .gnome2 or .gnome directory and
cannot find it.  How should I reset gnome again to
display everything.

[olivares at localhost .gnome2]$ ls
accels  gedit-2             gnome-volume-control
nautilus-scripts  totem
evince  gedit-metadata.xml  keyrings
share
[olivares at localhost .gnome2]$ cd ../.gnome
[olivares at localhost .gnome]$ ls
gnome-vfs
[olivares at localhost .gnome]$

As a result of the updates, the kde icons for
OpenOffice look differently from the old ones that we
are acustomed to (bluecurve).  It is ok.

How do I get gnome back so that I can have both
working for me.

Thanks,

Antonio