Gnome desktop does nothing no icons

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 22:44:28 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com>
To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 5:29:28 PM
Subject: Re: Gnome desktop does nothing no icons

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 11:53:52AM -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear list,
>
>    Apparently Gnome does not want to work.  It just
> loads the wallpaper and no icons.

Does not square with what I am seeing (although, admittedly,
this is not a fresh installation).  Did you try to look for
errors in various logs?  Maybe there was something in
~/.xsession-errors before you clobbered it on the next login?
It sounds like your nautilus process has troubles.  Is this
package installed?

   Michal

To unsubscribe:

It is installed.  Here are the details.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa nautilus*
nautilus-extensions-2.18.1-2.fc7
nautilus-2.18.1-2.fc7
nautilus-cd-burner-2.18.0-2.fc7
nautilus-sendto-0.10-4.fc7
[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat ~/.xsession-errors
localuser:olivares being added to access control list
xset:  bad font path element (#105), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
/usr/bin/startkde: line 380: xprop: command not found
kbuildsycoca running...
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  158
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x69
X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
  Major opcode:  54
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x14007c9
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  158
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x69
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  158
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x69
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  158
  Minor opcode:  6
  Resource id:  0x69
[olivares at localhost ~]$

Just for the sake of it, I created a new user and I logged in.  Things looked ok.  When I tried to logout, I clicked ok and it hung.  I clicked on the X and it told me to wait or to force quit.  I did not want to shut down so I clicked on force quit.  I had to ctrl+alt+backspace to log back in to my original account and in KDE since gnome does not work. Should I remove .gnome, .gnome2 directories and hope that the problem goes away or file a BUGZILLA?

Thanks for replying, I was getting desperate and you have saved the day.

Regards,

Antonio