Install gives BSOD on Thinkpad T60p

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue May 22 11:07:34 UTC 2007

David Kramer wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> You might specify which video driver that you want to use for the
>> installation with xdriver=vesa (Or ati,sis,i810 ....)
>> I had to use this option once when my card type did not register during
>> the installer phase. (My case was for an SIS video)
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Can't get networking or USBstick working, so this is as best as I can
> transcribe:
>
> xdriver=ati produced the same blue screen, but /tmp/ramfs/X.log was
> different.  In all other cases there were lots of errors (including the
> final error) about missing fonts and font paths.  Using this option,
> I see warnings of:
> No monitor specified for screen "Anaconda"
> The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout
> The core keyboard device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout
> No FontPath specified
> FontPath set to:
> 	unix/:7100,
> 	built0ins
> Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket)
>
> glx was loaded
> AIGLX was enabled
> FreeType loades, Type1 loaded
> dri failed to load (libdrm.so.2: no such file or directory)
> ATI loaded
> R128 loaded
> RADEON loaded

What was shown in your xorg.conf file for previous installations. I had
radeon as the driver instead of ati. There are drivers and sub-drivers
for ati type cards. This was on an hp laptop. I'm not sure, but maybe
xdriver=radeon would work.

> The end of the file jas:
> (II) Primary device is; PIC 01:00:0

This must be PCI instead of PIC
Comparatively, I have an MGA video as primary which shows. (Desktop that
I am currently using)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 02:00:0
(--) Chipset mgag200 PCI found

> (II) ATI:  Candidate "Device" section "Videocard0"
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error
> no screens found

> xdriver=vesa produced the same blue screen.
> /tmp/ramfs/X.log ends in the same "DRI module not loaded" and "could not
> open default font 'fixed'".

> xdriver=sis
> This one said it couldn't start x, then I ended up with a text screen
> offering text mode install or start vnc.
> /tmp/ramfs/X.log ends with
> (EE) No device detected.
> Which is expected, since this isn't a Sis card.

> xdriver=i810
> same as sis

i810 and sis failed properly. Sorry for the confusion. They should error
out gracefully.

> Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to put together a web page with all the
> data  I've gathered in response to all of the responses I've gotten, but
> I hope this helps.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.

This sounds like a good candidate for an anaconda bug filing. Font
errors, acpi errors, network errors and the like. there should be an
error log generated in the /root directory if your install attempt made
it that far along in the process. (formatted disks and wrote files to disk.)

Jim

PS - Text installation was pretty much neglected when I tried to do a
text install before with 'linux text'

--
Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
		-- Quentin Crisp