compiz questions

dragoran drago01 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 22:52:31 UTC 2007

On 11/3/07, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have compiz-manager in my startup session programs in rawhide. I also
> installed ccsm from koji repository and it seems to flawlessly work.
> How can I temporary disable/re-enable compiz-manager in case I want to run
> OpenGL intensive applications?
> Tipically with my Nvidia 6600 le in glxgears I get these fps values
>
> 3335 with compiz and 3926 without it in default window
> 191 with compiz and 341 without it in full screen (1280x1024 24 bit)
Its OT here but:
glxgears is not a benchmark you can ignore it.
With the nvidia drivers you can run opengl apps while compiz is
running without much perfomance hit if any (my benchmarks showed +/- 2
fps). Nvidia has a option "DamageEvents" that do some "magic" to do
this. Its enabled by default.
But if you want metacity --replace wiil kill compiz and start metacity.

> When compiz is running he processes  are:
>
> [testuser2 at tekkaman ~]$ ps -ef|grep compiz
> 502       2965  2791  0 Nov03 ?        00:00:00 /bin/sh
> /usr/bin/compiz-manager
> 502       3071  2965  0 Nov03 ?        00:02:59 /usr/bin/compiz
> --ignore-desktop-hints --replace --loose-binding ccp
>
> Also, I found that I can rotate the cube with Ctrl+Alt+mouse only if I begin
> the operation with the pointer over a window, while it does not work when it
> is on the background.
> Is it a bug to report upstream? Any other with the same issue?

worksforme