updating fstab entries

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Nov 5 19:20:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:33:12PM +1100, David Timms wrote:
> Keith Roberts wrote:
> >I'm updating my FC6 fstab to use LABEL=xxx for mounting partitions. All
> >seems OK apart from the following two lines, for the floppy drive and
> >the DVD/CD-ROM drive:
> >
> >/dev/fd0 /media/floppy      auto    noauto,user,sync      0 0
> >/dev/hdd /media/dvdrecorder iso9660 rw,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
> >
> >Can I use these lines as-is, for the Fedora 8 fstab?

Just use /dev/cdrom instead of /dev/hdd.  A system will take care
that this is a proper link.  Also there are CDs which are not in
iso9660 format (like those hfsplus from Mac) so "auto" filesystem
type could be preferable.

> I don't know if they will matter because they wont be
> automatically mounted.

They will be not mounted automatically by hal and desktop and just
remove those lines if you want that to happen.  OTOH it is not hard
to arrange to mount such removables via autofs.  This may have some
advantages.  You likely would not want in such situation to do that
with mount points below /media though as those are used by hal.

   Michal