how to test compiz-manager

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Mon Nov 5 19:28:35 UTC 2007

Sorry for the delay. I was very busy the last days :-/

Am Do 1.November 2007 schrieb Gianluca Cecchi:
> No,
> I mean System --> Preferences --> Look and feel ---> GL Desktop
> This launches gnome-compiz-preferences and from within the opened window
> you can select
> Enable GL Desktop
> and then you are with compiz.... or at least a part of it... I don't know
> you get the windows effects, the ctrl-Alt-mouse driven rotation of the
> cube, but not the cube rotation when you select another desktop at bottom
> right. And it seems this is in conflict with compiz-manager, at least with
> my nvidia card.

gnome-compiz-preferences was the hint. Now I know what you mean.

> If you have compiz-manager running and try to "Enable GL Desktop"
> compiz-manager crashes.

It seems they are both doing the same. compiz-manager is starting compiz and
also enabling "GL Desktop" is starting compiz.
I've tested it by starting compiz-manager and then fire up
gnome-compiz-preferences. "GL Desktop" then was already enabled. When I
disable "GL Desktop" metacity returns as the window manager and so
compiz-manager quits because compiz isn't running anymore (that's normal).
Did you mean this with "crashing"?

Sebastian