RC3 problem with X (nv driver)

Joe Average joe.average4 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 19:57:35 UTC 2007

2007/11/6, Will Woods <wwoods at redhat.com>:

> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 20:33 +0100, Joe Average wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The install of F8 RC3 when just fine. When I reboot and after its have
> > entered rhgb I just get a black screen with cursor flashing at the
> > bottom.
>
> This was a bug in RC3 that's fixed in the final release.

I'm aware of this bug.

> It's on the test page for F8 Final:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/8/FinalTreeTesting
>
> All you had to do was reboot again to get the system working properly.
>
> > After that I changed to runlevel 3 and removed rhgb + quiet from
> > grub.conf
> >
> > When I now try to startx my monitor just suspends. I'm able to get by
> > to a vt by killing it with ctrl+alt+backsp.
> > I've attached the xorg.0.log
> >
> > I didn't have any problems when I run F7 nor when I tried F7 with some
> > of the xorg F8-test packages...
>
> Try updating selinux-policy-targeted, make sure your default runlevel is
> 5 again, and reboot. You might want to revert back to 'rhgb quiet' at
> boot.

I updated rhgb + selinux-policy-targeted yesterday but that didn't
help me anything.
   [root at jackpot ~]# rpm -q selinux-policy-targeted rhgb
   selinux-policy-targeted-3.0.8-44.fc8
   rhgb-0.17.7-3.fc8

I forgot to mention that when I kill the xorg I return to a screwed up
vc. when I switch to Alt+fnOther I can login and after the login the
screen resets okay.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that changing from nv => vesa
allows me to startx.

-- AJ