Severe X breakage heads up

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 7 03:31:51 UTC 2007

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 17:46 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Hopefully the new version works better than the current version. 3D with
>> the radeon driver is degraded from what previous 3D was capable of.
>> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller:
>>   ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1
>
> That's not especially descriptive.  Degraded how?
>
> - ajax

The screen seems washed out regarding contrast. The sharpness seems
less. Also the 3D window managers all bomb out leaving all screens in
the upper left corner.
3D does seem to work somewhat for games like ppracer. I did have an X
crash with some screensaver which used to never happen. I settled for
one screensaver and I cannot recall which screensaver caused the crash.
The crash happened when allowing random screensaver selections.
Previously the screen seemed to show better contrast. I never used to
have an X crash when allowing screensavers to randomize.
The difference is user perception while using the same laptop since the
Severn phase which was initially installed onto the computer.

My hope is for better contrast, no screensaver crashes.
What is the aim the new X version trying to address? Simplifying the
interface or improving performance?

Jim

--
Connection reset by some moron with a backhoe