F8 and HP 8510w Intel 4965 Fails to load

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 7 19:47:42 UTC 2007

Ever since F8T3 (and F8 final has the problem too), I am unable to load
the Intel 4965AGN WiFi card on my HP 8510w laptop with 4GB RAM. I'm
running the PAE kernel, but it also fails with the standard 32-bit and
64-bit kernels as well.

The error I get is:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error

I dug into some of the logs and dmesg output and found out that, for
some reason, the system believes the WiFi card has been powered off via
the hardware kill switch. I re-verified that the hardware power switch
for the radio is on, but the card still fails to load.

Anyone else found a fix for this? It last worked correctly with F8T2 and
has been broken since.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra