mouse pointer not working -synaptics

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Nov 17 02:13:43 UTC 2007

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Amit Rana wrote:
>
>> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>> From: Amit Rana <amit.rana at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: mouse pointer not working

>>> You're using synaptics.  Read:
>>>
>>> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=119500155426020&w=2
>> Hi, What is the fix for this? How can I get mouse pointer to work in
>> the mean time? Do I need to revert back to some old version?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Not read the above link yet. May I suggest using a standard PS/2 mouse
> or usb one as a work around? I find that the synaptics touchpad on my
> Advent laptop is far to sensitive anyway, so I just plug a standard
> mouse into the PS/2 mouse socket.

I just upgraded from F8 to rawhide and after a reboot, I got an error
with respawning too fast. I also have a USB attached to it. So in my
situation the information for synaptics needs changed in order to load X.
I just deleted xorg.conf and was able to start x without a config file.
Since system-config-display --reconfig came up in GUI but no pointers,
either the synaptics or the USB worked through s-c-display the tool was
useless.
Now since I am in a working X with no configuration file, I am able to
use the tool. Attached is the rawhide xorg.log. The scrolling works on
the USB mouse but not on the synaptics pad.

Jim

--
Your good nature will bring unbounded happiness.