Booting problem with latest rawhide

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Mon Nov 19 22:02:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Since last week I have had a problem booting rawhide.  It is an X86_64 AMD
X2 system.  If I just let it boot to Run Level 5, it locks up with tons of
messages saying it can not create fines on root because the file system is
mounted read-only.  I have to reboot by using the "reset button".  If I boot
to level 1 (single user) I still get lots of message about root being read
only.  Doing a "mount" list root as being mounted as read-write.  Scrolling
backward in the messages, there is a line saying root is mounted r/w.  But,
if I try to do "touch /tmp/xx", touch gives error saying file system is read
only????

So as a work around, I boot to level 1 and get the shell prompt.  I then
type "mount -o remount,rw /" which remounts root as read/write.  I then do
an "init 3" and log in as root.  Then an "init 5" and viola, the system
starts.  I can not do an "init 5" directly from the single user mode.  So
what is broke?  I did a fedora 8 x86_64 live install, and then updated to
rawhide.  Can someone help?

Jim