Fedora 8 Test Update: mock-0.8.8-1.fc8

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 22 11:34:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Andrew Farris wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > except that there are some of us who aren't interested in that
> > information.

> So your point is that you feel the community really needs to have list setup
> such as below?
> fedora-test-updates-list
> fedora-test-release-list
> fedora-devel-list

um ... yes.  if those lists represent different mandates, they should
be different lists.

> all of which relate to testing and development issues for packages
> not yet released...

but they don't, do they?  as i have already pointed out *twice*, this
very list is advertised as being devoted to development *releases*,
not development *packages*.  and that's why i subscribed.  if i wanted
to know about test *updates*, i'd be willing to subscribe to another
list.

> Email filtering?  All update announcements originate from
> updates at fedoraproject.org, you could simply not see any of them with
> 2minutes of your time.

why should it be necessary for me to filter the contents of a mailing
list because the majority of its postings aren't relevant?  and
filtering doesn't do anything about the fact that all this irrelevant
content ends up on my mail server anyway.

> Splintering discussions about updates away from next release testing
> will tend to also reduce cross-talk on related problems.  Just my
> 2c, thats a bad thing.

*not* breaking that stuff off onto another list will *definitely*
reduce feedback on test releases since i, for one, will unsubscribe
from this list if it continues to tell me stuff i'm not interested in.
if red hat wants to announce and get feedback on test updates, they
can create a new list specifically for that and i can choose whether
or not to *opt in*.  i *don't* like the situation where i begin
getting stuff i never signed up for, which requires me to *opt out*.
see the difference?

in any event, i've said my piece, and i'll abide by the decision of
the powers that be.  if the decision is to preserve the current
situation, then i'll just unsubscribe.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA