fedora rawhide images

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 09:49:56 UTC 2007

Mohammed Omar wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
>> Rawhide isn't regularly built into images other than the test1, test2,
>> test3
>> builds before major releases.  You can network install from the mirrors or
>> download the packages to a local repository and install that way (or install F8
>> and update from there).
>
> You might be knowing from my previous mails that , I do Fedora testing
> on Power at IBM. Basically Lab machines will not have access to internet
> to install it from the network bcoz of authentication issues. Ofcourse,
> i do nfs/http/ftp installations through ISO images.Don't I have another
> option to get images for Rawhide. And also ppc is going to be secondary
> architecture for Fedoara, Will I get atleast released Images
> (Alpha/Beta/RC) for ppc arch??
>
> --thanks
> omar

As far as I'm aware noone has been (for the last few releases) doing any images
in between the test release schedule, but its certainly possible to build the
image for yourself; most likely its much easier to use a local machine inside
your test network to do nfs install for a small set of test installs.

The F9 draft schedule is posted here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule?action=show&redirect=Schedule

Alpha (test1) on 24 Jan 2008 is fairly soon, and typically every architecture
including ppc has been built at those test releases... I do not know if dropping
ppc any time soon has been discussed (doubtful).  If you're just wondering when
its possible to get an image built that may be the timeframe you're looking for.

The problem with building images in between those test release freezes is that
VERY often rawhide will have a number of dependency problems.  If you blindly
download all the packages and try to install them you'll have issues.  The test
release schedule is there to setup those images without such problems.

I think there was some recent discussion about the somewhat 'rare' opportunities
to test installer bugs because of the time between these releases.

If you really need some other options maybe another reader can chime in.  I
suspect the simplest approach for you is building the local mirror, carrying the
rpms into the lab via dvd if necessary and setting it up there.  You could have
an updated local rawhide mirror and physically move it when its needed.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu