Booting problem with latest rawhide

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Fri Nov 30 20:51:57 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Farris" <lordmorgul at gmail.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Subject: Re: Booting problem with latest rawhide

> Jim Bevier wrote:
>> It is hard for me to believe no one else is having this problem.  Lots
>> of updates and new kernels have been installed and still the problem
>> exists. Is there some service that is not being executed at startup?
>> Did I forget to remove or add a service when updating from F8 to
>> Rawhide?  I sure would like to help find this problem if someone could
>> point me in the right direction.  I guess the first thing to figure out
>> is why root is not mounted r/w on bootup.
>
> Have you tried booting from the cd and fsck the root partition?  During
> the boot
> process the root partition will get mounted readonly, then unmounted and
> remounted r/w.  It may be its failing to do that for a specific reason due
> the filesystem.

All of the file systems get checked and are clean.  I can also boot f8 from
another partition and read/write the rawhide partition fine.  After the file
system check, there is a message "Remounting root filesystem in read-write
mode:" and that is followed by "mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda8 is
already mounted on /".  So should mtab be empty on boot?  It seems that the
mtab entry is stopping the root filesystem from being mounted rw.  Does
someone have any insight into how this works?

> BTW, its not an external western digital usb2/firewire drive by chance?

The drive is a 200 GB Maxtor PATA drive.