X server still crazy

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:47:26 UTC 2007

2007/10/7, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>:
> > I updated my testin machine a few minutes ago, and now I can't start
> > the graphic server, I get only the request for user (in text mode). I
> > issue the password.
> >
> > Then if I issue startx  I get:
> >
> > unknown host
> > Xauth:creating new authority file /root/serverauth.2755
> > Xauth:creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
> > Xauth:creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
> >
> > Fatal server error
> > Server is already active for display 0
> >
> > ....remove /tmp/.X0-lock
> >
> > How do I recover???
> > Of c ourse graphic is Intel!!!
> > --
> > Antonio Montagnani
> > Skype : antoniomontag
> >

> How do I go back to the version of the Xserver.rpm on DVD by
> console??? I suppose that it should work..
>
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

This is my xorg.conf file. Note that I downgraded to
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-24.fc8.i386 but still Xserver get crazy.

I mean that I have the splash screen and the machine boots, but when I
should get the graphic screen for user/password, the system reverts to
graphic boot!!!
IMHO this is a problem to be solved, and i suggest not to say tat
everything was o.k. before full testing. Are we testing F8 or Xorg??
:-)

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier "single head configuration"
         Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard0"
        Driver "kbd"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "it"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"
        ModelName "LCD Panel 1280x800"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 50.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 -65.0
        Option "dpms"
End Section

Section "Device"
       Identifier "Videocard0"
       Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device  "Videocard0"
      Monitor "Monitor0"
      DefaultDepth  24
      SubSection "Display"
             Viewport 0 0
             Depth 24
             Modes "1280x800" "1289x720" "1024x768" "800x600" 2640x480"
      EndSubsection
EndSection

    Shall I re-install F8T3???

Tnx