ALSA 1.0.15 update test kernels available

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 16:02:31 UTC 2007

Chuck Ebbert said the following on 10/25/2007 02:33 PM Pacific Time:
> We are considering adding ALSA 1.0.15 to the Fedora 8 release. This
> would get us up-to-date with the latest audio drivers and fix many
> problems with audio drivers not working, or only partially working.
>
> Test kernels for i686 and x86_64 are available at:
>
>   http://people.redhat.com/cebbert/kernels/F8/
>
> Also, kernel 2.6.23.1-36 has the update and is now building.
>
> It would be very helpful if people would test these kernels and reply
> to this message with their experiences, so we can see if this update
> causes any problems.

Does not work for me on x86_64 though maybe this is symptomatic of a different problem(s)???

Here is what I've got

(0) Sound card is SoundBlaster Live 5.1

(1) Volume is set to mute on desktop and trying to change it gives me an error message about a possible missing grstreamer plugin.

(2) /var/log/messages has this error:
Oct 26 08:56:49 yardsale pcscd: winscard.c:219:SCardConnect() Reader E-Gate 0 0 Not Found

(3) system-config-soundcard plays sample sound just fine.

Troubleshooting advice appreciated :)

John