GRUB after hibernate

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 2 22:01:44 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:02 +0100, Leon Stringer wrote:
>> I'm thinking of installing F8t1 on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if
>> there's been any movement on running GRUB after Fedora is hibernated.
>> IIRC this isn't shown because the user could choose a different kernel
>> losing any unsaved data from the hibernated session.
>
> Actually, the _bigger_ concern is that someone does exactly like you
> wants to and boots into another OS.  And from that OS, they modify
> filesystems (maybe you have your ntfs filesystems mounted under Linux or
> you access the ext3 partitions from Windows) which then leads to
> significant filesystem corruption when you resume from hibernate.
>
>> However, this seems to be burdening the user with cumbersome
>> functionality whereas what it really needs is a technical solution.
>
> This is the technical solution.  There's not really any other way to do it.
>
> Jeremy

OK, but there's a thin line between protecting the user from themselves
and making it unusable.

Sure I can mount other partion's FSes and mess with the data but users
who do this can be considered expert users who (should!) understand the
risks.

As far as I'm concerned (and I'd *only* use Fedora if I could) I use
Windows only on my laptop, never using the existing F7 partition because
I know it will take so long to get back to Windows when I need it. (And
as the Linux guy in the office it's embarrassing to be seen with Windows).

Chris: Virtualisation isn't the answer because it requires users to go
out of their way to set it up. The sad fact is that the majority of
laptops come with a Windows license and often no Windows install disc (a
recovery disc typically). They shouldn't be expected to forgo this just
to use Linux. Although I agree that the ability to meet all user
expectations in Linux alone should be a goal.