kill switch is permanently disabld on dell Inspiron 6400

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Oct 3 01:41:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 21:07 -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
> I just decided to try updating my Fedora 8 Test 1
> to the latest Rawhide and I'm seeing a few issues.
>
> The primry one is that the Inetl 3945 has stopped working.
>
> It seems as thought the RF kill switch is permanently on.
>
> I've searched the web and there were 3 posted suggestions,
> none of which worked for me...
>
> a) echo 0 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/rf_kill
>
> b) echo 0 >
> /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl3945/module/drivers/pci\:iwl3945/0000\:/0\:00.0/rf_kill
>
> c) within the BIOS, disable the hot keys for RF/Bluetooth
>

> No matter what I've tried, knetworkmanager shows no wireless nodes,
>
> With Test 1, everything _was_ working.
>
> Suggestions anyone?

I'm on an Inspiron 9300 with a intel2915 chipset, so this may or may not
help.

There's been some malarky with Network manager (moving from 0.6.5 to
0.7.x) recently and while some of it has been resolved, issues still
seem to be there for 3945 users (from reading issues on this list) and
some other chipsets.

Also, I find that sometimes I need to go into the bios and reenable the
wireless device and that simply hitting Fn>F2 doesn't toggle the
settings.

R.

 It's much better on my side"